Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Salmon with Brown Sugar Glaze

                                             Please note: Photo was taken before being cooked

I am a big fish fan, especially salmon. We tend to eat fish at least 3 times a month. I have noticed that I make salmon the same way pretty much every time I cook it so I went onto pinterest one afternoon so that I could find a few new ideas salmon. I was curious about a brown sugar glaze for salmon as I have never really thought about using sugar on salmon, so tonight I thought I would give it a try.

The recipe was simple enough: brown sugar, Dijon mustard and a little salt and pepper to taste. Whisk the brown sugar and Dijon mustard together and you have your glaze!

The recipe calls for you to use your broiler, however, I decided to bake the salmon instead. I pre-heated the oven to 350 F, put a little olive oil on top of aluminium foil and then placed the salmon on top. I rubbed in a little garlic powder, onion powder and squeezed some fresh lemon juice on top. I then spread the glaze on. Once the fish was ready to go in, I wrapped the foil around the fish and placed it in the oven. I set the timer for 30 minutes, but due to rack placement the salmon took 40 minutes to cook. 

The fish came out perfectly! It was moist and basically fell apart like a well cooked salmon should. The glaze tasted amazing!! It was not too sweet and it mixed nicely with the natural taste of salmon. I was a little worried that the brown sugar would become crunchy while baking, but this was not the case at all. The glaze basically melted and became more like a sauce; which helped to keep the salmon from drying out while cooking.

I served the fish with rice and carrot sticks. I was going to chop and steam the carrots but my daughter asked for "arrot iks" so I made sticks instead. This was a very easy and delicious weekday meal. You can make this at the end of the work day and not feel like you are stuck in the kitchen. The glaze took less than 5 minutes to make, which is always an added bonus. 

Salmon with Brown Sugar Glaze
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
Salmon (any cut will do)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack at about 6 inches from the heat source; prepare the rack of a broiler pan with cooking spray.
  2. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange onto the prepared broiler pan. Whisk together the brown sugar and Dijon mustard in a small bowl; spoon mixture evenly onto top of salmon fillets.
  3. Cook under the preheated broiler until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.

Rating:

Preparation: 10/10...So very simple!! The glaze takes less than 5 minutes to mix up. Salmon is typically quick and easy to prepare in order to hit the oven (especially if you buy a boneless cut).

Taste: 9/10...This glaze added to the taste of salmon for sure, considering salmon is mild in flavour when it comes to fish, but I think next time I would add a little lime or even lemon juice to the glaze instead of the fish itself to give it a extra punch of flavour.

Servings: 10/10...There was more than enough glaze to cover the piece of salmon I was serving. I think this glaze recipe is pretty versatile depending on how much salmon you are serving. The measurements are simple so you could easily increase or decrease the measurements depending on servings needed. 

Total: 29/30...I feel that this is a nice addition to my recipe book. I like that it is easy to make, especially after a busy work day, and leaves your taste-buds satisfied.



~Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment