Sunday, January 13, 2013

Quick and Easy Naan

Butter Chicken has become one of my favourtie meals to make over the past couple of years. The sauce is always easy to make and I love how you can change the spices according to your own taste. I have also recently discovered a delicious jarred Butter Chicken sauce from President's Choice which comes in handy for a quick weekday meal. I typically order a side of Naan from my neighbourhood Indian restaurant, however, I was excited to come across a recipe for Quick and Easy Naan bread on pinterest. 

Here is the link for the recipe:

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/2010/09/naan-127-recipe-016-serving.html

Although the description was "quick and easy," I will admit that yes, it was easy, but quick is a little deceiving. In total, it will take about an hour and a half to make this Naan recipe due to the fact that the dough needs about 45 minutes to rise. If you are planning to make your own Naan, I would not suggest whipping it up after work with hungry kids (or significant other) waiting for dinner. However, this Naan is worth the wait! 

The 5 steps are pretty simple and easy to follow. I was going to take a picture of each step, but my 3 year old helper was so excited that we had to just keep on going! The website that I have inserted above has step by step pictures for you. 

Although this recipe was supposed to bubble, mine did not bubble so well. I know it was because I rolled it out too soon. The recipe says to not roll out the ball until it is ready to be placed on the skillet. I got a little too a head of myself and basically rolled them all at the same time. Even though it did not bubble very much, the Naan turned out like it is supposed to. It was light, soft and delicious!! One of two things I would do differently in the future would be to use a little less cooking spray on the skillet. I found that it left a little bit of an after-taste and took away from the overall taste of the Naan. Although Nann does not have much flavour, I could definitely taste the cooking spray. Secondly, I would of waited to roll out the balls so that it would of been a little more bubbly. 

So, for my first attempt at making Naan bread, I would have to say that this recipe is really good!! It tasted almost as good as my neighbourhood Indian restaurant and I enjoyed making it as well. 

Preparation: 8/10...I would not necessarily say that it was quick. Yes, an hour and a half preparation is really not much, but you definitely need to be aware of the preparation time. 

Taste:9/10...I think if I would of used a little less cooking spray this would of been an easy 10 out of 10. However, when something leaves a bit of an after-taste in your mouth, it tends to take away from the taste in its entirety. 

Servings: 10/10...This recipe yielded 8 pieces which is plenty!! I have quite a few pieces leftover for lunch or even a snack of Naan with melted garlic butter (nom nom).

Total:...This recipe is a good 27/30. I will be for sure making this recipe again (as it will be a money saver), however, it is not the best for a quick throw together meal on a busy week night. I would suggest saving this for your Sunday family meal.

~Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment