Friday, January 18, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tacos

I love a good taco night, and so does my daughter. I had pinned this recipe back in October out of curiosity and due to the fact that the picture made the tacos look super delicious. Truthfully, I had my doubts about how well this was going to turn out because chicken can dry out so easily. After many pinned recipes turning out so well, I had made a plan B for dinner tonight just in case this would of been the first "oh boy, what was I thinking??!!" moments.

This Crockpot Chicken Tacos recipe was super easy. Place in 4-6 whole chicken breasts (no need to cut them up) into the bottom of the slow cooker, add a packet of taco seasoning and a small jar of salsa. Stir the ingredients up a bit to mix them all together and then just place the lid on and turn the slow cooker onto low or high depending on when you want to eat. 

You know the chicken is done when you can shred it nicely (kind of like pulled pork). Tacos are so versatile, you can basically put whatever you want on them. I had whole wheat tortillas, low fat sour cream, I shredded some cheese, prepared some iceberg lettuce and sliced up some tomatoes (not pictured).

My initial thoughts on this pin were instantly changed after taking my first bite!! The chicken was far from dry and I really liked the taste the seasoning and salsa had created. However, I think next time I will squeeze a little fresh lime juice into the slow cooker for that extra kick. So I learned my lesson in regards to cooking...never judge a recipe by its cooking method.

Ingredients
1 envelope Taco Seasoning 
6 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 16-ounce jar Salsa 

Directions
Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. You do not need to add any water to the taco seasoning. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork.

Rating:

Preparation: 10/10...No cutting or measuring required! Just place the chicken, seasoning and salsa in the slow cooker, mix it up a bit and head out for afternoon errands. Once it gets closer to dinner time, just prepare your toppings and you are good to go!

Taste: 10/10...Chicken was cooked just right, the seasoning and salsa created a very savoury taste and you can add whatever you want on top. Its a tortilla wrapped around deliciousness :)

Servings: 10/10...The recipe can yield up to 12 servings, and I agree!! There is plenty left over to have more the next day. The website has a recipe for tortilla soup for the leftovers and I will add it to the end! (Please note that I have not, and probably will not make it the soup, but it is a good idea).

Overall, this recipe is a 30/30 which means we had Friday night fiesta on a plate!!

~Amanda

Tortilla Soup

2 cups of the shredded chicken
One 32oz box of chicken broth
One can corn(drain)
2 handfulls chopped cilantro
One squeezed lime
One can diced tomatoes (reg size)
One can diced tomatoes w/ chiles (if you can't find the can get another can of diced tomatoes and a can of diced chiles)
1/2 large yellow onion
One can black beans
2-3 table spoons of tomato paste
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of chile powder
2 teaspoons of garlic powder

Dump everything in a pot and simmer for ~30 minutes. Garnish with cheese and crispy tortilla strips!


No comments:

Post a Comment