Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Potato and Farmer Sausage Casserole




Yesterday, Monday, was an incredibly lazy, pajama worthy, kind of day. So, I took to Pinterest looking for an easy meal to cook for dinner. I came across this recipe. Two main ingredients and a quick sauce piqued my interested. I summoned my motivation from its haze, and set out to make the easiest comfort food known to my kitchen.

Call it a moment of pure genius, but while I was whipping the sauce, I realized the recipe is just a scalloped potato recipe with meat tossed in the mix. I know, my brilliance knows no boundaries.


Having looked at the recipe bellow, you are acquainted with the ingredients and have them all prepped and ready on the counter. Meaning, you've sliced the potatoes and farmer sausage, and shredded the cheese.

(Note: I didn't want to wait 1 1/2 hours for my meal, so I precooked the potatoes. The farmer sausage was bought pre-cooked.)

Starting with the butter and flour, make a paste over low heat. Melt the butter in the saucepan, add the flour. Using a whisk, make sure the butter/flour mix is smooth.
Add the salt and milk. I did half milk, half cream. Stir well. Add the soup, once mixed, add the shredded cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted
Once the cheese is melted, your sauce should look smooth, like the above picture. Set it to the side.
Layer the potatoes and farmer sausage, then pour the sauce overtop.
Did I mention a preheated oven set at 350? If your potatoes are raw, place your covered casserole in the oven for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. If you cheated, as I did, and precooked your potatoes, then bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Easy peasy.
I chucked a few pieces of asparagus into a frying pan with butter, a pinch of salt, white wine, and sliced garlic. The asparagus made a perfect side dish.

Overall, the dish was incredibly easy to make, it was creamy and had good flavour. It was also very filling.

Enjoy!
~Alea

Potato and Farmer Sausage Casserole Recipe 

Ingredients
6 small – med. potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 - 3/4 link farmer sausage, peeled and sliced

Sauce
1 Tbsp butter 
1 Tbsp flour 
1/4 tsp salt 
½ cup milk
½ - 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Arrange potatoes and farmer sausage in layers in greased 8 cup casserole dish. Melt butter; blend in flour, salt and milk gradually, stirring constantly. Add cheese and soup, stirring until sauce cooks. Pour over potatoes and sausage. Bake at 350F for 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 hours.

Rating - 28/30

Preparation - 10 - Aside from chopping some potatoes, slicing some farmer sausage and making an easy sauce, it did not involve a lot of work, or concentration for that matter.

Taste - 8 - This recipe is pretty straight forward, there aren't many flavours involved, other than the cheese and soup. Yes, if you do not enjoy mushroom soup, I don't think you'd enjoy this recipe. I suppose you could switch the mushroom soup for cream of chicken.

Servings - 10 - This recipe yields a good amount, but is easily adjustable.

No comments:

Post a Comment