Monday, January 7, 2013

Mexican Mini-Pizza's...Fun and Easy!

A couple of months ago, I had a good friend coming over for dinner. I really enjoy cooking for her as she comes a long way to visit and the pure joy on my daughter's face makes our visits amazing. Tired of cooking her the usual, I was looking for something delicious and different...also something that would surprise her :)

I had pinned this Mexican Mini-Pizza recipe and when I was looking at my food board I thought that it was perfect! I used ground chicken as the meat.
Here is the recipe: 
3-4Large whole wheat tortillas, or enough to cut out 12 small circles (I prefer LaTortilla brand)
1 cupLean ground turkey, cooked (or lean ground beef or 1 cup Morning Star Meatless Crumbles™)
1/2 cupSalsa of choice (I used one with corn)
2 tspDry taco seasoning
1/2 cupLow fat refried beans
1/2 cupLow fat shredded Mexican blend or 2% cheddar cheese
OptionalToppings: sliced black olives, shredded lettuce, low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes


Here is the method:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray

2) Start by laying each tortilla out individually on a flat surface, use an empty can, glass cup, or a cookie cutter to cut 3-4 medium circles out of each wrap.

3) Press each wrap circle into muffin tin using your fingers. (Note: it doesn't have to cover the entire side of the tin, it should just fit snuggly!)

4) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ground meat, salsa, taco seasoning, and refried beans. Stir until well combined

5) Scoop 1/8th of cup of meat mixture into each wrap.

6) Top with shredded cheese (dividing evenly between each pizza), and olives if desired.

7) Bake in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted

8) Wait for mini Mexican pizzas to coo, and remove from muffin tin using a fork or knife. Pizza's should pop out with ease!

9) Serve with a side of salsa, low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and/or shredded lettuce if desired!


I had sour cream and salsa to add on top once they were baked and I served them with a green salad that I added fresh cut veggies to.

This recipe was so easy and yielded way more than 12 pizza's. I put the left over mixture in the fridge and made a taco salad with it the next night. It was nice getting 2 meals out of this simple recipe as well. The taste was really nice. My daughter ate them up as well and kept asking for more.

On a scale of 1-10, I would give this recipe the following:

Preparation: 9...I really liked that you can prepare this the night before and then just put it in the fridge. It only took 20 minutes to prepare. I spent the most time cutting out the tortilla's but it was not tedious by any means.

Taste: 10...Honestly, they were delicious!! We found ourselves putting another and then another on our plate because they just tasted that good :) I like that you can top with pretty much anything your taste-buds desire, so it really keeps it simple.

Servings: 10...It was nice that the mixture yielded more than a dozen. You can freeze the mixture for another meal or make a salad. I'm sure you could make taco's or a burrito out of the mixture too. The meal was also satisfying. It filled you up and left you feeling like you had a good meal.

Total:...this recipe is a 29/30 and I will be making this for dinner again very soon. It can also be brought for lunch at work or school too.

-Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment