Thursday, February 28, 2013

Quick Cheese Danish

Last night I wanted something sweet and simple for after dinner tea. I remembered pinning a cheese danish recipe ages ago, and decided I would give it try.

Warning: No brain power required. Roll. Spread. Bake.


What you'll need:
1 Pillsbury crescent roll
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I did not use that much sugar, add a bit of sugar at a time until you reach the sweetness you desire... 1/2 seems like a lot)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp flour (again, I did not use that much flour. Just enough so my cheese wasn't a thick unspreadable paste)
1 cup fruit/filling (optional)

For the icing:
1/2 cup powered sugar
2 tbsp milk or cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat oven to 350

Blend cheese, sugar, vanilla, and flour. Set aside.

Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the crescent on the parchment paper (I split them in half, so two croissant pieces comprised the bottom layer, and the remaining two comprised the top layer; each layer was perfectly square). You can also leave it completely intact, in which case you would then have a rectangle shape of dough on your cookie sheet.

Spread the cheese all over the bottom layer of dough. If you are doing 1 strip of dough, spread the cheese down the middle. Top the cheese with your fruit/filling of choice.

Add the top layer of dough and gently pinch around. For the second method, cut 1/2 strips along either side of the cheese/fruit. Fold the "dough arms" over the center, alternating either side as you go along. The idea is to achieve a braided look.

Pop your pastry in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Or, until golden brown.

Once your pastry is out of the oven and cooling, whip together your icing by combining all ingredients. If it's too thick add the slightest dash of cream, too runny add more sugar.

Once the pastry is cooled completely, either drizzle the icing over top or, as I did, completely smother your pastry in icing.

My review: 
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of this. I mean it was good, but it wasn't great. Perhaps I'm a food snob and my taste has been spoiled by much finer pastries. But, to kill a sweet craving, this would do the job. 

The icing sugar was not overpowering, as it often can be. I didn't add enough cheese to mine, so if I make it again definitely will do so. Also, if I use this recipe again, I will switch the croissant for puff pastry. I'm not much a fan of pre-packaged croissant, they're nothing like those gloriously overwhelming puffy croissants you get at the bakery. 

All in all, would not make this recipe to serve to others as it's just "okay"... there's no "my mouth has just discovered heaven" moment. 

~Alea 

Recipe from Bacon Avec Bacon

1 comment: